The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) was established in 1936 as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. In 1944, it was renamed as the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The year 1964 was an important landmark in the history of the Institute, when it was declared Deemed to be a University under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act (UGC), 1956.
Since its inception, the Vision of the TISS has been to be an institution of excellence in higher education that continually responds to changing social realities through the development and application of knowledge, towards creating a people-centred, ecologically sustainable and just society that promotes and protects dignity, equality, social justice and human rights for all.
Join Regular Degree and Diploma in Computer and Information Science from TATA Institute of Social science (TISS)
- B. Voc. – Regular Degree from TISS
- PGDCA – Regular Diploma from TISS
- Post Graduate Diploma in Sofware Development
- Diploma – Get certified by TISS
- Certificate Courses
Keeping in view of skill development based advance education UGC has introduced Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc.) Degree with various exists like Diploma / Advanced Diploma under the NSQF.
B.Voc. programs is focusing on specific job roles and their NOS along with comprehensive education. This will ultimately impact India’s economy by gaining right employment, becoming entrepreneurs or industrialist.
SVE –School of Vocational Education provide quick and fixed interventions to advance the disadvantaged and downgraded youth by proper vocational training programs. Basically the idea is to provide an environment that would bring back the dignity of labor for cultured streams of work to create sustainable sources of income. AICTE – All India council for technical education projected by the ministry of HRD, Government of India.
The curriculum is based on mix of general education and skill development components.
Skill Development Components:
- The emphasis of skill development components shall be to prepare the students with proper skills , knowledge, practice and attitude, so as to become industry ready.
- Bachelor of Vocational Program curriculum is included within, National Occupational Standards (NOSs) of specific job roles of the industry. This would enable the learner to meet the learning results specified in the NOSs.
- To provide a comprehensive specialization in one or two domains is the basic agenda hidden behind the designing of skill development component for selected job roles .
- Tata Institute of Social Science can develop curriculum for a particular area or job roles along with industry expert in case of NOS not available.
- The basic idea for those programs or courses for which NOS is not available is that TISS will develop such a curriculum in each of the three years that will emphasize on work-readiness skills.
- Sufficient attention will be paid during the coverage of curriculum areas like practical work, on the job training, development of student portfolios and project work.
General Education Component:
- General education component will stick to the university standards. It will provide holistic development of the learner. General education component will cover 40% of the complete curriculum.
- Language and communication skills will be the prime areas of attention in the curriculum.
Curriculum will be designed in a manner that at the end of year-